Sunday, March 4, 2007

Faith

Have you ever wondered what faith is??? I was recently reading Hebrews 11, and if you've ever read that before you know that it talks a LOT about faith. The definition given in Hebrews 11:1 is, "faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

How beautiful and simple an explanation. "By faith we understand that the universe was formed by God's own hand."

It tells of what Enoch did by faith, Issac, Abraham, Abel, Noah, Jacob, Moses and so on. The list is far too long to recite here. But the point is, all of these individuals went out, in faith, and did what God told them; all the while knowing that they may not receive their reward while on earth. In fact, Hebrews 11:39-40 says, " 39These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. 40God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect."

Many died for their faith. That's an incredibly humbling prospect for me. I LOVE the Lord with all my heart and soul, but to die for my faith..... I pray that this earthly life has no such hold on me.

"For our God is an ALL consuming fire"

5 comments:

flee said...

I am really glad you are coming soon....I look forward to visiting more with you.

I was reading not too long ago in 1 Peter 1..concerning our faith. It talks about how we may suffer grief in all kinds of trials; they come so that our faith, which is more valuable than gold (and by they way, gold perishes even tho refined by fire), may be proved genuine AND may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus is revealed.

Isn't it ironic that our faith is proved genuine through various trials...not by how many times we go to "church" or how much money we give or how great we think we are to others. Trials. Interesting.

See you soon...flee

Donna Strachan said...

Girl, you are an awsome writer and such a precious child of God. You will be so blessed for speaking out for Him. You share your faith all the time in the way you live an interact with people. You are definitely an example to me of someone who has "suffered grief in all kinds of trials" and have come out so much better for staying true to your faith thru it all. I love you so much, Thank you so much for your friendship, love, donna

flee said...

Hey...just wanted to say thanks for your comment on my blog. I am looking forward to hanging with you again. We have lots to talk about.

Donna and I have briefly thrown around the idea of coming to see you for our next "getaway". Would that be alright? If I tag along?

flee

flee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gina said...

Oh Flee, thank you for sharing that in 1 Peter. In fact, this jumped out at me also, "8Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls." ......I just love how God speaks to us through scripture.