Monday, October 29, 2007

Words.....

Do you ever wonder what affect your words have?? The little things we say each day and how they effect those around us. I personally don't think about my words all that often...I'm sort of a speak before she thinks type of person. My lips move faster than my brain can process....for those of you who know me, I'm sure that this is not a surprise ;o)

On Saturday, I said something to someone..... It was just a passing thought that popped in to my head and went straight to my lips. I never thought another thing about it. Later that day, I got a call from this person thanking me for my comment. I was floored! I honestly had to think back to what they were talking about. I had no idea that this little comment, these words that I had not even given credence to could make such a difference. But to this person, it was a big deal. To them, it touched them in a special way.

That scared me. It scared me to think that words are so powerful. In this instance, my words were used to bring joy to someone. But how often do I bring pain and not even realize it. How often do we say things in anger or frustration and, while we don't give it another thought, those words can harm. They can have a lasting effect that we don't even realize.

It's given me pause to say the least. I want to be more aware of what I say, more aware of how I treat others. I know from personal experience that words can last forever. Once something is said, it can't be undone.

0 comments: